Chapter of the Cathedral
Chartres Cathedral and its Chapter are indissolubly linked.
It was the Chapter that was responsible for its construction, maintenance and embellishment over the centuries. All of this was made possible thanks to a very important financing.
The dedication of the present cathedral was celebrated on October 17, 1260.
The choir, then closed, was the chapel of the Chapter: the canons met there throughout the day for the prayer of the hours, from matins at first light to compline in the evening, and of course the Eucharist.
In addition to prayer, the canons had various responsibilities: welcoming pilgrims, serving the parish, schools, and the Hôtel-Dieu du Cloître, where the doctor canons treated the sick.
Suppressed in 1790, during the revolution, it had 93 canons: the 104 choir stalls bear witness to this.
In 1821, Mgr de Latil re-established it but with only 14 titular canons.
The Chapter of Chartres, so closely linked to its cathedral, continues its mission of prayer in the cathedral today.
Canon Raphaël Malcuit
dean emeritus of the chapter